WP1: Specification of sensors and related composite materials for embedded structures
- Develop a method for simultaneous sensing of strain by a hybrid sensing approach using polarimetric fiber sensors and fiber Bragg grating sensors (FWUT and DIT).
- Investigate methods of maximising the sensitivity range and spatial characteristics of the hybrid sensing approach to strain (FWUT and DIT).
- Investigate the optimal positioning of sensors within a composite structure to capture the strain distribution in the structure with minimal error. This will take into account the maximum likely strain and its distribution as defined by the end-user (PZL-S) coupled to known external perturbations (temperature and pressure range).
- Perform preliminary calculations using FEM methods (MWUT) on the composite structure for the conditions predicted by the end-user (PZL-S) such as external perturbations (temperature and pressure range) and the maximum strain.
- Define and testing an appropriate validation technique to verify optical measurements in composite structures (FWUT, MWUT, DIT).
WP2: Prototyping of a customised sensing system using a hybrid sensing approach
Purpose: Design and prototyping of new customised interrogation systems to extract measurands from the hybrid sensors.
- Specification of complete prototype sensing system for hybrid optical sensing, to include stated targets for strain sensitivity, temperature independence and interworking of the two sensor types (FWUT, MWUT, DIT).
- Design and prototyping of suitable customised interrogation systems for the hybrid sensor approach to distributed sensing within the composite (FWUT and DIT).
- Design and prototyping of a fibre-reinforced epoxy matrix composite structure capable of accepting the optical fiber sensors (MWUT and PZL-S).
- Testing of prototype interrogation systems and comparisons with specification (FWUT and DIT).
- Select an appropriate fiber coating material and sensor protection technique. (FWUT and DIT).
WP3: Manufacturing and testing of the composite structure with embedded sensors
- Prototype fabrication of fibre-reinforced epoxy matrix composite structures with embedded hybrid sensors in-line with the outcomes of WP1 and WP2 (FWUT, DIT, MWUT).
- Testing of composite structure with embedded sensors. Tests include mechanical and non-destructive measurements, monitoring changes in the composite material structure induced by bend, stress, strain or twist. Simultaneously with the embedded polarimetric and the fiber Bragg grating sensors, surface mounted strain sensors will be connected to the composite material in order to verify and compare responses from both types of optical sensors, using the customised interrogation systems developed in WP2 (FWUT, DIT, MWUT)
WP4: Optimization of the composite structure with embedded sensors
- The optimization process based on strains predicted by FEM will address improvements in the durability of the host material and the sensitivity and location of the fiber sensors to achieve the earliest possible detection of structural failure (FWUT, DIT, MWUT).
- Fabrication of optimized composite structures, e.g. helicopter rotor blades, in-line with the outcomes of Task 4.1 WP4 (FWUT, DIT, MWUT).
- Using mechanical and non-destructive tests investigate how the presence of optical fiber changes the mechanical properties of the composite structure and give suggestion for optimization of composite structure T4.1 (MWUT and PZL-S).
WP5: Project coordination and related activities
- Implementation of a consortium agreement,
- On-going financial management of the project,
- Commercial/IP management of the project,
- Operations management of the project,
- Scientific and technical coordination and exploitation and dissemination activities (MWUT with the support of FWUT, DIT and PZL-S).